Over the course of the past two months I have been working on a new body of work that attempts to take a number of ideas normally found in traditional graphic design practice and extrapolate them into three-dimensions. These are but a few of the latest examples of a similar conceptual program that spans close to twenty years.
The formal & material goals of the work can be essentialized as:
- Take traditional graphic design principles and sensibilities and extrapolate into low relief 3D.
- Fetishize a normally ephemeral medium (like the poster), through the use of materials and pigmentation.
- Create an object that exists in a liminal space on the threshold between contemporary art and design.
The conceptual goals of the work can also be essentialized as:
- A continued exploration of extremely economical language.
- An continued exploration of design & art as a form of spiritual practice (religon).
- The notion of the transcendent as alien to human experience.